Chicken Spaghetti is one our favorite meals around here. It’s full of yummy nutrients; the kids love it and so do my husband and I! This meal provides a whole wheat grain, vegetable, protein, and dairy. It’s pretty super!
You can change-up this recipe many different ways, but below is the way I usually make it. I usually use carrots & bell peppers, but I’ll add zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms if I have them. Whole peas would be good, too! My kids still like vegetables, so I don’t HAVE to sneak them in, but… I don’t like veggies and the sneaking trick works on me. 😉 ha!
When I make this, it makes about 12-15 servings for the kids. This is about how many portions fits in to 1 side of my Sistema Containers, as discussed in my Meal Prep post!
My Grocery List:
(Personally, I usually shop at the natural grocer stores in Denton, such as The Cupboard or Natural Grocers).
- 1 Box of thin Whole Grain Spaghetti (good source of complex carbs + fiber)
- 3/4 cup of Shredded Cheese (I usually use part-skim mozzarella, but in this picture there is cheddar!)
- 2T Low-fat Cream Cheese
- 1 Zucchini
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms (whole or sliced, doesn’t matter!)
- 1 Small Onion (I don’t use the whole onion; I slice it into 4 thick slices and take the 2 middle rings.)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (I cut off the corners, so I have 4 big pieces & no seeds to use)
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper (I cut off the corners, so I have 4 big pieces & no seeds to use)
- 1 lbs. Chicken (I like Organic Free Range Chicken, & I get Breast Tenders)
- 2T Butter (Organic, Grass-Fed… it’s a healthy fat & good for brain development! I like the Valley Pasture brand).
- 1 cup organic Chicken Broth
Pictured below are the ingredients I used last time.
First, find your little helper! Cooking is a good lesson in math, reading, and following instructions! (Also gives them a chance to practice their patience that they so desperately need!!)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Start a large pot of water boiling for the chicken. I use a stock pot.
Cut up your chicken into small pieces (about 2”). This is just so it’ll cook quickly. We’re going to puree it.
Add the chicken pieces to the boiling water. Cook on low-medium for about 35-45 minutes, depending on size.
Break your spaghetti in to as small of pieces as you can.
Cook noodles in the chicken water once you’ve removed the chicken (or you can cook separately to get done with another step, though the spaghetti only takes about 7-10 minutes).
Slice the veggies, just small enough to fit in your food processor or blender.
Puree the vegetables and chicken (doesn’t have to be done together if yours won’t hold this much. Mine doesn’t.)
Add 1t salt, if desired. I always do.
Once you’ve drained the spaghetti noodles, add the 2T of butter.
Mix everything except ¼ cup cheese in to the spaghetti.
Put in 9×13 baking dish.
Put in 9×13 baking dish.
Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted everywhere.
Once cooled, I just use my spatula to slice out pieces that fit right in to my Sistema containers. I usually put steamed baby carrots or cherry tomatoes in the other side, but since you already have vegetables in this dish you could even do a fruit. Maybe “dessert strawberries” would be good!
One Comment Add yours
Hi thanks for shharing this